Each year 1,700 public school children in need come to Stewart House from many parts of NSW and the ACT. During their stay, children are provided with optometric, dental and medical treatment as well as emotional support.
This is balanced with health and educational programs and out of school activities to boost their self-esteem and to promote a healthier lifestyle.
Children in the care of Stewart House attend a specific purpose school onsite for up to 10 days of their 12-day stay. The NSW Department of Education provides infrastructure and staffing support for this school. All other costs associated with the childrens’ stay are met from charitable donations. Children between school years 2 and 8 are invited to attend the program.
Stewart House is committed to:
- Providing a safe environment where every person has the right to be treated with respect and is safe and protected from harm.
- Creating and maintaining a safe learning environment and safeguarding the emotional, psychological and physical wellbeing of children in its care.
Stewart House recognises that it has a moral and legal duty to protect children from foreseeable harm. This includes the provision of safeguards against mistreatment and timely reporting of child abuse.
Stewart House needs your support to ensure we can continue to provide important services to children.
During the Stewart House program children:
- Develop self-care, social and conflict resolution skills
- Learn to relax and overcome anxiety
- Develop a broader outlook on life
- Establish friendships and routines in a safe community
- Increase their self-esteem
- Feel more emotionally supported
Whilst in residence, children are provided with:
- Optometric, audiometric, dental and general health screening
- Essential treatment, including tooth extraction and prescription glasses
- Accommodation, meals, laundry services, transport and excursions
- Medication and basic needs such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, new shoes and appropriate clothing
Stewart House Awards
Most Innovative Charity /
Employer Partnership Award for Partners with NSW Department of Education
Community Service &
Social Justice Award from the Australian College of Educators